There are specialized smoke alarms
available for people who are deaf or
hard of hearing. If you or someone
you know is hearing impaired please
contact us at 667-0798.
|Thu. Mar 23rd 2017|
Congratulations Morgan Lewis
Please join us in Congratulating B Shift Engineer Morgan Lewis on his accomplishment last week of becoming a qualified NFPA 1...
Read more »
|Mon. Mar 20th 2017|
Congratulations to our newsest Officer
Congratulations to Mike Smathers for accepting the position of Volunteer Firefighter Coordinator for the Enka Candler Fire Re...
Read more »
|Fri. Mar 10th 2017|
Friday March 10,2017 the Enka Candler Fire Rescue Board of Directors and with Firefighters and Officers present opened the bi...
Read more »
Enka Candler Fire & Rescue
Thank you Trevor Williams!
Trevor is an upcoming senior at East Henderson High.
Trevor donated and installed "In God We Trust" decals
on all of our vehicles.
Would you like to be a volunteer?
To become a volunteer firefighter you must be 18 years of age and live within one (1) mile of our district boundary.
Applications can be found under File Library.
Fire Safety Outdoors
Check local laws on burning. Some communities allow burning only during specified hours while others forbid it entirely and make sure to obtain a burning permit
Check the weather; don't burn on dry, windy days and consider alternatives to burning. Some types of debris - such as leaves, grass and stubble - may be of more
value if used for compost. It is always illegal to burn household trash or any other non-vegetative matter.
Cool all a lantern, stove or heater before refueling. Place it on the ground in a cleared area before filling. If fuel spills, move the appliance to a new clearing before
lighting it. Recap and store flammable liquid containers in a safe place. Never light lanterns and stoves inside a tent, trailer or camper. If you use a lantern or stove
inside a tent or trailer, be sure to have adequate ventilation and always read and follow instructions provided by the manufacturer.
When smoking outdoors grind out your cigarette, cigar or pipe tobacco in the dirt. Never grind it on a stump or log. It is unsafe to smoke while walking or riding a
horse or trail bike. Use your ashtray while in your car and never dump used cigarettes out the window.
After using burning charcoal briquettes, douse them thoroughly with water. Don't just sprinkle a bit over the coals. When soaked; stir the coals and soak them again.
Be sure they are out - cold! Then carefully feel the coals with your bare hands to be sure they are extinguished.
Build campfires away from overhanging branches, steep slopes, rotten stumps, logs, dry grass and leaves. Pull any extra wood away from the fire. Keep plenty of
water handy and have a shovel for throwing dirt on the fire if it gets out of control
Never leave a campfire unattended. Even a small breeze could quickly cause the fire to spread. After use, drown the fire with water. Make sure all embers, coals
and sticks are wet. Move rocks - there may be more burning embers underneath. Stir the remains, add more water, and stir again. Be sure all burned material has been
extinguished and cooled. If you do not have water, use dirt. Mix enough soil or sand with the embers. Continue adding and stirring until all material is cooled then feel all
materials with your bare hand. Make sure that no roots are burning and do not bury your coals - they can smolder and ignite.
Monitor for local and current state burn bans that may restrict outdoor burning. Contact your fire department or call 828-250-6777 for Buncombe County area to make
sure you are not violating any open burning regulations.
Fire Safety Tips
Don't run extension cords under rugs or carpets.
Replace frayed electrical cords before they burn or cause a fire.
Keep combustibles away from the furnace.
An electrical outlet or switch that is unusually hot to the touch may indicate a dangerous wiring condition.
Always extinguish the fire in a wood stove before leaving the house and before going to bed.
An electric blanket should not be tucked in at the sides. It may overheat and start a fire.
Unplug your hair dryer or any other small appliance in the bathroom when not in use.